Recently, I strolled into a Starbucks while on vacation at the Jersey shore. What caught my eye was a simple but dynamite wall treatment above a seating area. An assemblage of stacking branches of the same length and approximate diameter placed horizontally on the wall created a striking and effective focal point for the room.
- If you love green, try placing large leaves of different color variations and texture into a bit of water in clear glass, cylindrical vases of varied heights. This makes a beautiful tabletop display.
- Once I collaborated on a large party and we used sawed off birch logs as candle holders. It was dramatic and quite beautiful.
- A simple wood stool made from a log can make a design statement in most any space.
- A natural fossil mural can be an interesting focal point in a contemporary residential or commercial setting. Fossils are also an interesting display on shelving when lit properly. For some creative fossil products go to: www.geodecor.com.
- Natural objects can be a way of personalizing a space. When our family travels to the coast of Maine, we collect rocks. I display them on my coffee table in the living room as I find them beautiful and they bring back wonderful memories.
I am intrigued by nature and all that it has to offer. Bringing the outside in brings the unusual and a sense of peace to any environment.